250ml/8fl oz milk
250g/9oz plain flour
250g/9oz Cheddar cheese,
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 eggs, beaten
vegetable oil for deep-frying
• Warm the milk in a large heavy
saucepan over a medium heat,
stirring constantly while gradually
adding the flour.
• Add the butter and, once the
mixture has thickened, remove from
the heat and mix in the cheese.
• Add salt to taste, the cayenne and
the beaten eggs.
• Allow the mixture to cool. It should
now be thick enough to shape into
about 24 balls.
• Heat the oil in a deep heavy
saucepan until very hot. Deep-fry
the balls in batches of about six
until they are golden brown.
• Remove from the pan with a slotted
spoon, drain on kitchen paper and